The Neverending Story Web Page

Bastian's Mother's name

Discussion of the book that started everything, written by Michael Ende

Postby Miss_reality on Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:31 am

I was wondering if anyone knew the name that Bastian called out at the end of 'The Neverending Story'. I think that is was his mother's name, but am not sure what it was.

Thanks.
Tiffany
Miss_reality

Postby Miss_reality on Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:46 am

I guess this was already discussed, and everyone says that it is 'what you feel that he says'. Why would he yell a name with 'no name' though? Anyone know the real name?
Miss_reality

Postby Moon Child on Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:05 pm

It's Moon Child. Listen to it again and you can hear it if you know what you're listening for. Did you know the films are based on a book? The book explains it a lot better, although it is not necessarily his mothers name that he uses for the empress in the book. The books are brilliant though, I would recommend them. Also, if you had read a few posts in here you would see that there are already loads of topics asking the same thing! :smile:
* Moon Child loves Bastian *
~ some magic's real ~
Moon Child

Postby Marta on Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:35 pm

I agree with Moon Child. Please everyone, read more carefully other posts before you ask a quastion because there are so many same quastions. Have a nice day all :smile:
Marta

Postby Miss_reality on Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:26 pm

Thanks you, Moon Child. :smile: I did know that the story was based on the book, but I never read the book, nor do I have it. Thank you very much, though. And Marta, I did mention that I saw the question previously, but there were about 10 different answers and everysaid...."go with what you feel". That did not answer my question.

Thanks again,
'Moon Child' :smile:
Miss_reality

Postby savvy_angel on Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:15 pm

I know this is an old post but I'd like to straighten out one thing for those future visitors of this board. Bastian did indeed named the Empress "Moon Child" but it wasn't his mother's name. In the book, he never mentions his mother's name, nor did he mention naming the Empress after her. The reason why he named the Empress "Moon Child" was because that's how he saw her when it was described in the book he was reading (TNES). Hope that clears up most of those still confused with the concept in mind of Bastian's mother being a hippie or something. Although it's kind of funny when you think about it, after all the book was made in 1979 :smile: Still, I don't think Mr. Ende had a hippie concept in mind while he wrote the book so don't mind this comment :wink:
"If I were dead and buried and I heard your voice, beneath the sod my heart of dust would still rejoice" - Dalton Trumbo
savvy_angel

Postby Holdenwook on Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:56 pm

sorry, but i just need to say this.

we keep telling people who havent read the book, that it will "help you understand the story better"
I cant really understand what that means, being how it is, that the book IS the story. i think the movie is just a visual aid sort of, and i dont like it anywhere near as much as i like the book.

the movie completely shoved aside the things that make the book great-- just my opinion
Holdenwook

Postby savvy_angel on Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:33 pm

With regard to the book, what I was saying is that I think they should read the book to make more sense of the movie. It's not that I or anyone for that matter was saying that the movie was sort of the "appetizer" of the story and that the book should explain the rest of the things that wasn't shown in the movie as I agree with your response on the movie being a visual aid.

When I was a kid, I didn't really think of TNES in a much deeper sense as it was just a movie full of magical creatures with a good story to tell, purely innocent and entertaining. As I got older, I saw it in a different light, which led me to discover the book. After reading it, I truly understand what the story is all about. It has helped me answer some of those questions about the movie that wasn't clear or poorly explained as I've found in most of the scenes in the movie. Plus I learned a lot of things from the book that was excluded from the movie which should've been considered as it would truly make a great impact on the audiences. I guess you could say that with more knowledge, we begin to question things, which is why I advise those who've seen the movie but haven't read the book to get a copy and read it so that the story wouldn't be difficult to understand and that Mr. Ende's unique talent would be appreciated because they would get the message that he was trying to imply. I love both the book and the movie and I have just as much respect for Mr. Ende as anyone in here, and that is why I'm also trying to do the best that I can to make people remember Mr. Ende's work in the way that he wants it to be remembered.

Hope that clears things up for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: savvy_angel on 2003-02-03 05:32 ]</font>
savvy_angel

Postby Onyxica on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:39 pm

perhaps in german mondenkind is a regularly used name which means moonchild ---thus implying that bastion did use his mother's name in naming moonchild. i mean many names in our language have meanings which we dont immediately think of when we use them day to day.
Onyxica

Postby Steffel on Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:25 pm

No, Mondenkind is not a "normal" german name. In fact I have never heard of anyone with that name before and as we have quite strict rules in Germany for naming a child I don't think it would be allowed to use that name (that doesn't apply for any stories of course - it's just one of our bureaucratical rules to prevent a child from being ridiculed).
"Perhaps the most distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always try to reach it."
Steffel

I agree with Steffel

Postby SilverDollar on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Yep, I agree with you Steffel. I wanted name my son Atreju in second name. But it wasn´t allowed. So I took Noah. :wink:
SilverDollar

Postby Uyulala's Song on Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:06 pm

Well in my opinion, the makers of the first movie really messed up. Dont get me wrong I have always loved it. But after I read the book there is just NO compairison, and dont even get me started on Neveredning Story 2 and 3 and Tales from the Neverending Story (the former making me so mad I threw my remote! haha)

You know how Hollywood loves to dramatize things. He does indeed call out the name Moonchild in the movie and say it is his mother's name but in the book it never sais that that's his mother's name.

Furthermore, what's wrong with asking the same question twice? How else do you get new insights and inputs? I for one dont have the time to go searching through the entire forum to answer a question, I would just hope that people would be kind enough to answer it. Wich most of you really are. :)

Uyulala's Song
"Do what you wish"
Uyulala's Song

Return to The Book