The Neverending Story Web Page

Bastian's mom's name in NES 1

Discussion of the three movies that were based on the book written by Michael Ende.

Bastian's mom's name in NES 1

Postby Bridster on Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:20 pm

Hey, you know when Bastian has to yell out his mom's name, and he yells something out the window? What does he yell? :-?
Empress
Bridster

Postby Gmork on Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:39 am

He yells Moonchild. They don't mention his mom's real name. Have you ever read the book? You should it's great.
Gmork

didn't quite sound like that...

Postby ellony_lynn on Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:11 am

it didn't sound like Moon Child to me. But maybe it's the loudness of the rain. I haven't watched it in forever either. But I have read the book bunches of times!
Ellony
ellony_lynn

Re: didn't quite sound like that...

Postby Morla381 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:09 pm

I had to watch that part over and over again in the movie to actually match up the name with his lip movements, and finally agree with myself that thats what the name was. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Elizabeth, Morla381
Not that it matters....but yes.
VIEW FULL COLLECTION:
http://www.fantasien.net/tnes/msgboard/ ... ight=#8065
Morla381

Postby kimmy275 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:21 pm

i was just on www.movietome.com (decided to see what they had about the neverending story) and they wrote in the notes

"Bastian's mother's name is Moonchild"

:o wth?

-kimi-
kimmy275

Postby Hotaru_chan on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:00 pm

you know....for the longest time i wondered what her name was too. i can't find the books so i couldn't look it up in there.

Moonchild sure is an interesting name, though. ^^;
Hotaru_chan

Postby The_Gmork on Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:09 am

I don't know, per se. I used to think it might have been Aliyah, because that's what it sounds like he's saying, but he's saying Moon Child. But it might also be another word for Moon Child, like in a different language is what I believe. :-?
If you come any closer, I will rip you to shreds.
The_Gmork

Postby The_Gmork on Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:11 am

Whoops. Avvies too big. Hehe... :oops:
If you come any closer, I will rip you to shreds.
The_Gmork

Postby ds on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:47 pm

I haven't seen the film in English in years, but I could have sworn that he says "Astraea."
I wanted to confirm this, so I watched the French version of the movie (I'm in France and it's all I could get a hold of) but in that version he calls out the name Marina.
You all wrote that the name is Moonchild, but is moonchild what Bastian actually says in the English version, or is it the meaning of the name he says?
How come no one knows for sure what the heck he says??? Does anyone???
ds

Postby Prince Cor on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:20 pm

Hi ds,

Welcome to the forum. This is a question about the movie many people have. Here's what we know: in the book, Bastian gives the Empress the name "Moon Child."

If you listen to the English film version, and know this is the name Bastian gives her, then you can pretty much hear that this is what he yells.

Could it be that in the French edition, the sound of Bastian's yell is actually taken from the German edition of the film?
Prince Cor

Postby ds on Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 pm

It could be that the sound of Bastian's yell is from the German edition, that might explain things. Thanks for the reply Prince Cor. :D
ds

Postby mia on Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:58 pm

Isn't it funny how once you know what Bastian says, you hear it so clearly. Before I knew, I would rewind that part a million times and never hear it. :D
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."

"I will do what I dream!"-Bastian
mia

Postby Hotaru_chan on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:27 am

well i used to think he yelled "Astanyabonya".......but i was young and had a really crummy VHS =\
Hotaru_chan

FINALLY! HOORAY!

Postby tamifan on Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:29 am

:D I love this web site! I didn't even know it existed until now! I've loved NES for 20 years now, and for 20 years, no matter how many times I've watched, and re-watched, and rewound and watched again the scene where Bastian yells his mother's name out the window, I could not figure out what on earth he was saying! I can't believe the feeling I have right now, now that I finally know!!!

For some reason, I thought it was connected to Atreyu somehow, and I thought he was saying something like "Monatreyu," but the more I tried to convince myself that that's what it was, the more ridiculous it sounded! I don't have the book, so I was never able to look it up that way. It never even occurred to me, actually! And I must agree, it's amazing how clear it sounds, once you know what it is! LOL! I went to the site's FAQ's first, because I thought for sure it had to be there, and I played that sound bit about five times. I can't believe that finally after 20 years, I can put this to rest! Hooray!! Thank you for this web site!!!!
:P
tamifan

Postby ChildEmpress on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:02 am

I have wondered this ever since I saw the movie the first time. personally I always thought it was "Maria" And now that I heard it again knowing it was "Moonchild" I can't see how I heard "Maria".

It really IS good to finally put this to rest, though now my mother is upset and says she thinks it is "Stupid" that it was Moonchild because that isn't the mothers name.
ChildEmpress

Next

Return to The Movies