What is the book about?
A little boy named Bastian comes across a book called The Neverending Story, which tells a tale of Atreyu and his quest to save Fantasia. The land of Fantasia literally has everything you can imagine, since it is the land of human imagination. As Bastian reads, he discovers that he himself is the one to save Fantasia, and by doing so, he gets lost in the book and must find his true identity in the real world.
Isn't this a book for children?
Not really. On the surface, The Neverending Story can be easily seen as a book for children. However, the novel contains many themes that only an adult could fully grasp. Michael Ende intended this book to bring out the child in all of us, and he accomplishes this so well.
Please note that these reviews, especially the last two, can spoil parts of the book--read at your own risk!
Also note that "Fantasia", "Fantastica", and "Fantasiana" are all the same, depending on the book copy I suppose. The original German was "Fantasien", which is more like "Fantasia" than any of the others, according to my sources.
Book Covers and Information
How to find it
- Look at your local library
- Look at your local book store
- Look online
If your library uses the Library of Congress call numbers, then the book is listed as "PT 2665 .N27 U513". Otherwise, look under the author's name: Ende, Michael.
The book should be in the fantasy section or possibly the children's section. Only large book stores will probably have the book; however, most book stores will be glad to order the book for you at no extra cost.
Related to the Film
- Der Film - Die Unendliche Geschichte (The Film - The Neverending Story) by Remy Eyssen (original German edition/behind-the-scenes photos and a day-by-day description of the production, 183 pages, out-of-print) Below First
- The World of the Neverending Story by Paper Tiger Ltd (large format, full color describing the film including story-boards by Juan Japl and Ul de Rico, 125 pages, out-of-print) Below Second
- Phantasien in Halle 4/5 by Ulli Pfau Below Third
- The Neverending Story Picture Album by Michael Teitelbaum (24 pages, out-of-print) Sept 1984. Below Fourth